Extreme ideas

As many students have already mentioned, the LOLA show article presented by Casey about the OATS shoes was very fascinating. This was such a great example of a PSS. The fact that the shoes can serve their normal purpose and provide comfortable, fashionable apparel for ones feet while at the same time having the ability to make a positive impact on the environment when they are no longer able to be worn is incredible.

I would say that the LOLA show in general was my epiphany for the week. It wasn’t so much related to PSS systems as it was to inventing in general. I have many different thoughts that pop in my head about things that I wish existed or could be done this way or that way. Hearing about decomposable shoes that have seeds in them or about creating electricity with our footsteps was eyeopening to me because it showed me that even the things that seem like they could never be created an accomplished really can be brought to life. It seems completely silly to have shoes that turn into plants, but hey, apparently it can be done. I guess to sum it all up, my epiphany was that there truly aren’t any limitations on a person’s creativity and what can be accomplished in today’s world.

Product Service systems are all around us. As defined in the reading, a PSS consists of “tangible products and intangible services designed and combined so that they jointly are capable of fulfilling specific customer needs”. An example of this came up in my Entrepreneur class on Thursday morning. We were discussing a case over a franchise company called Game Truck. The idea behind this mobile arcade was that people could rent out these trucks for hours at a time for parties, etc, and could play their choice of video game from a selection of 64. On hand were experts to help with any technical issues and to simply supervise. This was a very interesting idea and a good example of a product service system. The service they provided was a “doorstep” arcade equipped with the assistance of professionals to help manage the gaming and the product they provided was video games. I don’t know that this specific example is especially sustainable, however it is an example nonetheless.

My idea for a PSS is a bike rental on campus. I personally own a bike that I put on the back of my car and bring to campus everyday for class because I live off campus. It is nice to own my own bike, however I think it could be really cool thing if students had to option to rent a bike for a semester and didn’t have to buy their own and worry about putting it on a bike rack and taking it off. It is only logical that if they are riding a bike because they don’t want to walk, that they have a place to park their car that is right near the bike rental. this could maybe be offered by the transportation center and a parking lot could be developed only for the people that rent a bike. It would work much like other parking lots, in that each car would have to have a permit in the window for that specific lot. Each student would then have a bike rented to them with a specific number on it. The bike would be locked up every time it wasn’t in use. The product offered here is obviously a bicycle for campus. The service offered could be considered quick and easy transportation. There would obviously have to be some details lined out, but I feel that this could be a very viable idea for our generation at this point in our lives.

THOUGHTS?

I would love to learn more about some super radical ideas that people have come up with and executed such as the OATS shoes. These are the type of things that really interest me when it comes to sustainability (no offense Dr. Armstrong ; ) ).

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Extreme ideas

1. Dr. Cosette Armstrong says:

None taken! You know, you can dig for these on your own?? There is a lot going on our there. I have left a bunch of ideas from Finland for you to peruse on D2L:)

2. luxstyles says:

I would actually love this to happen at OSU! I like bikes yet do not have one because I am afraid someone might steal my seat! (It happened to my roomie last year! :/ ) I think TU still has this service implemented on their campus so we should seriously look into it too!

3. wimbeldonbear says:

I think this idea works great for temporary students/ visiting scholars to OSU too. I know many years ago I had a roommate who came to OSU for only one semester and he had to borrow my bike to go to his classes everyday. It would be so nice to see if OSU can offer this service for students like him so that at the end of the day, he doesn’t have to pay for a brand new bike, but still be able to bike to classes during his time in OSU.

4. I actually think OSU has implemented this idea! I am not exactly sure what it is called but one of my friends has rented a bike from OSU for the semester. it is a great way to allow students to have that easy transportation without wasting money on a bike they might only use for a semester. Not only is it price conscious but it also is reducing waste.

5. tanjae65 says:

I love this idea. Have you heard of CITI bikes or Barclay bikes? Basically big cities have installed these bikes that people can ride around the city whether it is to tour or get to work, they’re charged hourly during their use or they have memberships. They have multiple bike stations throughout the city and people can use them for hours at a time. When they are done, they don’t have to return them to the station they got it from, just the closest one to their location. I think this could really build onto your idea!! New York City just recently installed the CITI Bikes this summer and London has had Barclay Bikes for a while. Would you consider taking your bike service off campus as well??

6. Its called “rent it and go” or something to that effect. which is great.. its kinda like how you can now rent your textbook rather than going into 1000.00 into debt. This is a good way to involve the community into the college/residential life/etc. Encouraging smaller ideas like this could start and develop a more caring society.. i think.

7. Andy Samburg says:

Rent and go isn’t very effective though. I am from a big city and they have the bike rental system. It works so much better than whatever we have here. They have bike ports at several different locations around and they are obvious where they are. For example, someone could pick up a bike at the sereten and drop t off at the Human Science building. I personally would use ths all the time.

8. princessaurora10 says:

Thank you for all the comments! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! I had a very busy Saturday! I think you guys have some really valuable insight and ideas into how this could work. Having different stops around campus to leave the bikes would be helpful and most likely more appealing to students. I had heard of a system like this in London because my sister lived there for a year. However, I hadn’t remember it until it was mentioned on here from you guys! This could be a potential service for OSU to implement. I would use it! And I’m happy to hear many of you would also!

9. merch14 says:

I totally agree with the idea that there really are no limitations to product development. Sometimes I find myself thinking that there is no way to be completely original or inventive because it seems like everything has been created but listening to the LOLA show last week has made me realize that there are still so many possibilities to recreate existing products and come up with something new.

10. princessaurora10 says:

I like that you point out that recreating existing products is also possible. Making simple changes and small tweeks to things can make all the difference!

11. idiva92 says:

I would LOVE a bike rental place. I wanted to bring my bike to Stillwater but my car is too small to get it up here 😦 Not only is riding a bike more sustainable that driving a vehicle every where, it would also cause our campus to be an overall healthier society.